I got the application to work on Vista running on my Dell XPS 1330.
Short version; Follow the steps of the ‘UnCrippling Bluetooth in Vist (RTM)’ (at your own risk as usual) and install the Widcomm (now Broadcom) 220.127.116.110 driver(s).
Longer version; I intially tried Lee’s version, which failed. The ‘List of working Bluetooth Devices’, as also referenced here http://www.uweschmidt.org/comment/253 mentioned the ‘Dell Wireless 355 Module with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Technology’ as being supported. As far as I can tell the 355 Module installed in my Dell 1330 laptop is de DCM_2045 (the 2045 is the frequency in use I guess).
So I d/l-ed the newest drivers from Dell (of july 7 2007; R140135.exe) and installed then. As long as I removed and re-added the Wiimote everytime I started Lee’s app it seemed to work.
I say seem to work because I hadn’t (and haven’t :) finished my IR-LED-Pen yet so I tested it holding the LED connectors to a battery pointing at my laptop screen.
And then I came across Uwe’s version. Many kudos as this is right up my alley, being a senior Java developer.
So I tried to get it to work…. and failed. No matter what I tried, be it re-adding the device, using buttons 1&2 or the red one at the back, or even the 6.x and 5.x BlueSoleil drivers, the app would either timeout, or throw a stacktrace telling me it could not connect.
So after some hours restarting, un-re-de-installing, re-syncing and messing up the installed driver suite quite a bit, I came across this message; http://www.uweschmidt.org/comment/162 and low and behold, after following the steps the application found the Wiimote no problem. The steps basically mean deinstalling the bluetooth driver(s), making sure they don’t automatically reinstall themselves and then installing the Widcomm 18.104.22.1680 driver/stack. Unfortunately Lee’s app doesn’t really seem to like the new drivers, but for now I won’t test that any further.
Next step(s); In the mean time (as sort of a distraction for all the re-de-un-installing) I started working on creating a sleek(er) IR-LED-pen using my IR-LED and battery. Although I didn’t get in bed till 4:30am, I didn’t get it quite finished, so I wasn’t able to test the pen with the application yet. Hopefully I will be able to finish it tonight. Who cares about the Dutch team playing @ Euro 2008, right ? :)
I’m fairly content with the pen so far and it’s really just the last step that needs to be taken (hooking up the + side of the battery and closing the pen).
I’ve made pictures of every step so far and will put a short manual online once I’m done. One secret I can already reveal is that I just happened to have a set of ‘Papermate permanent markers’ of the W10 series lying around which I think are perfect; - The tips allows a 5mm LED to be slipped from the outside-in and has a base on which it then rests. - The tip is detachable from the holder - The back end of the tip allows for installing a micro button switch
As said; more later.
For now; thanks again Uwe for keeping me awake most of this weekend :)